In 1918, Dr. Ford Porter began to pray for a ministry that would train Christian workers who would serve around the world long after his death. He also prayed for a ministry that would be a witness around the clock. His gospel tract, "God's Simple Plan of Salvation", and Indiana Baptist College are the answers to his prayers. The tract was written in 1933, and Berean Bible Institute was founded in 1955. The first classes were taught by Dr. William Forster, who was soon joined by Dr. Leon Maurer.
As time passed, the school’s name was changed to Indiana Baptist College, which grew as its dedicated faculty trained leading pastors, missionaries, and Christian workers. Dr. Clinton Branine continued the vision of Dr. Ford Porter as the campus was moved to its present location on the south side of Indianapolis. Dr. William Forster continued in his leading position of teaching doctrines. It was agreed that the college be placed under the direction of Dr. Clinton Branine, after which it was moved to the Greenwood suburb of Indianapolis. Dr. Branine presided over the construction of the Ford Porter building. Dr. Branine was president for ten years and merged the college with Heritage Baptist University of North Jackson, Ohio under the leadership of Dr. Russell Dennis, Sr. During Dr. Dennis, Sr.’s tenure as President, the college saw the addition of other new buildings to the campus, including the Leon F. Maurer Library.
Upon Dr. Dennis’ death in 1998, his son, Rev. Russell Dennis, Jr., succeeded him as President, serving in that capacity until December of 2006. Dr. Duane King served as Interim President for the school year of 2007-2008. Rev. Paul Reed then served as the Acting President for the 2008-2009 school year, and currently serves as the President of Indiana Baptist College. Under his leadership the C.L. Branine Administration and Student Center building was completed. The school continues true to its original mission of training pastors, missionaries, musicians, and educators for the work of God.